6

New Chapter

Posted by DomHyo on Monday, February 15, 2010 in , , , , , , , ,
So I got the word last week that my school is opting not to re-sign me for another year. I would transcribe the whole letter, but I don't feel like it.

Basically, my classes were enjoyable and most of the kids enjoyed my lessons, but the teachers all agreed that I wasn't "active" enough, which I'm assuming means I wasn't engaged or looked like I was excited enough to teach the class.

I actually thought I was, moreso than I am, but I can also see how my introverted personality may have made them think that.

But I can't change who I am, and in the past when I have tried to be more extroverted (I mean all the time), all I did was tire myself out and I felt fake doing it. So that's why nowadays I really don't let it get to me if I meet people and they think I'm rude or whatever.

And this is not to say more introverted people can't teach, but it's really about finding a teaching method that works for you. I know plenty of more introverted teachers here in Korea who are doing just fine in their schools.

So what now?

Well, I'm going to ask my co-teacher if there is any advice she can give me on how to improve as a teacher, because I am looking for another job here (and may go with elementary this time).

I also take this year as a learning experience all around. You learn by making mistakes and I do see some things that I could do better in the classroom.

I've also learned a lot about myself this past year (wow has a year really almost gone by?)

I've been places I've never though I'd go. I never thought I'd end up in Guam for a vacation, or traveling the countryside in Korea, but I did, and besides wanting to save a bit more money, and teach for another year, I want to travel more.

Traveling and photography are my new passions, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to accomplish my goals in these areas. I refuse to be in a cubicle 9-5 job wasting my life away for 20...30 years.

And that's one thing I like about this job. Even though the hours are pretty much normal, everyday it's something different. The kids are mostly part of that, saying their crazy phrases everyday, and interacting with them in class. But also, besides lesson planning for a few hours every week, I can leave the job at the job.

I've also met people from everywhere here. Canada, Korea, Australia, Brazil, China, New Zealand, etc.

I'm so glad I made the decision to come here and teach and I need to stay at least one more year to experience everything I need to experience, so I hope I find a new job soon.

There were some pretty significant changes that occurred before me coming here (friendships ending and whatnot because I decided to leave a certain situation), but leaving was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Will keep up to date on the new job search. Peace.

6 Comments


There's no doubt in my heart that you'll find a school that will enjoy your presence. Just stay positive and open to learning, renewing and embracing change. It'll happen ... I know it will. Since your passionate about photography, try looking for a photo studio, gallery or museum to intern at --- or try doing an art exhibit ... somewhere to disply your pictures... anyhoo, stay positive and grounded!


Hey, I hope you find another job teaching. I'll be praying for you, that everything work out for the best.


I am sure that everything will work out.

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.