0

Back from vacation and more

Posted by DomHyo on Monday, February 08, 2010 in , , , , , , ,
Hello people. Long time no write. So I guess I can break down what's been happening since my vacation. Let's start with that first.

Guam...what can I say. Absolutely loved it. Beaches, white sand, breezes, and the turquoise waters is something that is the perfect cure for the wintertime blues in Korea.

When I got back to Korea, the cold air was very disheartening.

So here's how my time in Guam went:

First day...arrive at about 9pm, so really nothing accomplished on the first day but traveling to Guam. I headed from the airport to the rental car place, got my car and was on my way to my hotel. I check in to my quaint little hotel on the beach, get into my room, and realized I was hungry.

I had been craving Taco Bell since I came to Korea and I did not fail to realize that I passed one on the way to my hotel, so I immediately jumped back into my car and get 4 hard tacos and a chicken quesadilla. Superb.

So the next day i decide to head up to a place called Two Lover's Point which sits at the top of a cliff overlooking the sea. When I got there, there were Japanese tourists everywhere (it's a popular spot for them and Koreans as well).



I took some great pictures and almost lost my hat to the sea, due to it being very windy.

Afterwards I decided to try to find Ritidian Beach which is at the top of the island. It's a very isolated beach which only a few people know about and go to. That's what makes it awesome. You can have a huge piece of the beach to yourself.

After driving through a winding dirt road for about 20 minutes, it turns out they had closed the beach that day due to heavy surf (it was very windy the first couple of days I was there)

I said oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. So I then decided to drive around the whole island. It only take about 2-3 hours to do so. I drove around and took some pictures of the sights and whatnot, and it was a very relaxing drive especially looking to my left and seeing the vast ocean.



Once I finished my little journey, I headed to the main beach with all the tourists and just chilled for awhile before coming back to the bar at my hotel, and getting a meal and a beer while watching the sun set. I talked with some people there and met some cool people.

Next day, I find Ritidian Beach and it's open! So I get out and walk to the beach and it was amazing. I tried some swimming there but the waters were still kind of choppy so I jumped in for a minute before jumping right back out. I then decided to just chill on the beach as I watched a few people walking by.



I also managed to see quite a few hermit crabs with their little shells walking all around me. Picking one up, makes them hide in it, but they come back out eventually.

After I was finished there, I really wanted to swim, so I decided to head back to the and tourist beach area, Tumon Bay, and do some snorkeling. That was pretty fun as I hadn't done any snorkeling since I went to the Bahamas over 10 years ago.



The remainder of the day was spent listening to my ipod as I watched the sunset again while of course getting....more pictures. I also went back to the bar to talk with some people. One was military who had just been stationed there and another was actually just kind of crazy so I left ASAP.

On my final day, I decided to head to an area where a Japanese army guy was found (in 1978) who had thought the war was still going on for all those years. Apparently once the Japanese were defeated, he retreated into the interior of the island and actually lived there for all those years. He was eventually found and the area where he was found has waterfalls and whatnot so it's a pretty nice place to visit.

After that I went to some other places around the island where some war items were placed and got some pictures of those as well.

Afterwards I headed back to the beach to enjoy one last dip in the water as I knew the return back to 20 degree weather was approaching.

So all in all it was a great trip and I accomplished exactly what I wanted to accomplish...absolutely nothing. I mean I wanted to take some good pictures and see a lot of the sites, but I primarily came for relaxation and a break from the cold weather here in Korea. I hope to go back there again or Saipan, but probably further in the future because there are other places around Asia I want to see as well.

So now I'm back and it's been two weeks. Winter Camps went well the kids seemed to enjoy them and soon I should know whether or not my school wants me back for a second year. I think I'm pretty certain I want to stay a second year. Even if my school doesn't hire me back, I will just look for another job. But it would be much easier if I was able to stay at my current school. I'm a five minute walk away, I like my school and co-workers, I like my students, I have three buses that stop in front of my apartment that take me directly to Seoul, and I have all my internet/phone/cable setup and I don't want to go through the hassle of that again. I will keep up to date on the situation.

Peace!


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.