0

Getting paperwork straight

Posted by DomHyo on Friday, January 23, 2009
So again to help any current or future readers thinking of teaching in South Korea, here is how I went about getting my background check and copies of my degree notarized and apostilled. Note that I live in Michigan and it could be different for your state.

So today I started off by going to the main police department downtown to get my background check. I got up kind of late so I didn't go until around 1.

So I get there and go to the floor where you get the checks done. Nobody is there so I'm right in line to get mine. Only thing is, they don't take debit cards :(

It costs 8 dollars and I only had 4 dollars of cash so I had to walk back outside into Greektown to find an ATM and take 20 dollars out. Mind you I'm parked at a meter with only 30 minutes left. So I head back to the Police Station and there's more people than before so I have to wait a little bit. All in all I get my check done in about 20 minutes which isn't bad and I was able to get back to my car with 6 minutes left on the parking meter. Take that meter maids!! HAHA.

So next is to get the check apostilled. I also had to get my degree copies apostilled as well. Take note that you can only get an apostille is you have gotten your document notarized first. I had my degree copies notarized already and I THOUGHT that my background check was as well.

So I head down to the Secretary of State to get the Apostilles and hey it wasn't crowded!! I'm helped right away and I get my degree copies apostilled and I try to get my background check apostilled but UH OH the lady tells me it's not notarized.

So darn. She tells me that the credit union down the hall does notarizing so I head down there. They tell me that they do notarizations but the lady who does them is out to lunch... grshhh. So I head to the Bank of America in the building. They don't notarize documents...only signatures. Grsshh. So then I head to the other credit union. They say the same thing.

So I had to suck it up and go back to where I got my degrees notarized (the UPS near my house). So after the 20 minutes to do that, I got back to the secretary of state and it's more crowded but it still only took me about 20 minutes.

So there you have it. Getting the background check is pretty simple and so is getting it notarized and apostilled. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer :)

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.