0

New Journey...South Korea

Posted by DomHyo on Monday, January 05, 2009
So it's been about 8 months since I graduated from Hampton University. It took me 5 YEARS, mainly because I could not chose a major in my first two years. I was an architect major freshman year...not for me...too technical. Soph year I was a Computer Information Systems Major....not for me...too boring and technical. So finally in junior year I chose graphic design (didn't even know they had this program until then).

So I finally graduated with a Bachelor in Fine Arts with an emphasis in graphic design and now I was on may way in the world!! yeah!! (end sarcasm)

People really need to stop acting like once you graduate from college, a job will just fall into your hands because you have a degree. Yes it can help you get a job over someone who doesn't but it's not guaranteed right away. Also most jobs are now requiring a Master's degree (not graphic design)

So this summer was a very trying time in trying to find work in which I really had to rely on God more than ever and although it was hard at times, I knew God would direct my steps. After 3 months of looking I finally found my first design job at Fathead (look em up). It was a contracted job for 3 months and it was the perfect entry level job. 20 dollars an hour although no benefits because it was contracted. I was able to save quite a bit of money for these 3 months.

So after my contract was up, I was hoping they would hire me full time, but they did not have any room on staff for full time. So it was back to job searching. Not only was I looking for design jobs, but other jobs like Verizon, Wal Mart, etc. I kid you not I couldn't even get hired for these jobs. I was like God what is going on? lol. But maybe the job market is THAT bad.

Anyways, in the midst of job searching I came across a friend on facebook (although it was one of those friends that I've never met in my life...you know those type of facebook freinds...everybody has em!!) and saw that she had some pictures up from Korea. So it peaked my interest and come to find out she was teaching over there so I messaged her and ashed her about it. This is when I started researching and unltimately came to the conclusion that it is actually a great opportunity to travel, see a new culture, and teach (I've thought about teaching before)

So I've applied and now the journey hopefully begins.

I've started this blog mainly to follow my progress from now until I hopefully finish on my next journey I am about to embark on. First I think it will be cool to look back a year or so from now and see the change and how much progress I've made. Second, I'll use this blog when I get to my destination to help others who may be thinking of going as well. I've been reading a lot of blogs of people who are over there now and their experience has really helped me get a picture of what to expect (good and bad).

So umm yeah...keep reading and bookmark lol.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.