0

Why teach in South Korea??

Posted by DomHyo on Monday, January 05, 2009
One of the main questions I've been getting lately prior to writing this, is why teach in South Korea?? Here are some reasons:

1. The job market in the U.S. is horrible. I've been looking for jobs in Detroit for graphic design because I cannot afford the relocation cost to look out of state even though I've wanted to. The design market in Detroit is not that great so I've been forced to look for other jobs which I don't mind because I do have school loans to pay. It is pretty easy to get hired (still waiting on a response to my application)

2. Standard of living. Even though the economy has been done and the exchange rate has gone down, you can save easily $500-$1000 USD (depending on how much of a big spender you are..I'm not one). This is possible because your housing is paid for, your flight over and back (when your contract ends) is paid for, and the taxes are low. With all this paid for this leaves a lot of money to save and send back home (for me, I want to pay off a good chunk of school laons) or use in South Korea. Also consider that since the subway system literally goes everywhere (except the airport HA!), you won't have any gas to pay for or unexpected repairs on your car. If I were working here in the states at a 8,9,10 dollar an hour job (assuming I couldn't find a design job) I would be making about the same per month, only I would have all the expenses to pay for listed above.

3. The culture. I've always been interested in Japanese culture, but since the cost of living is high there, I hear that South Korea was just as good. Seoul is the second largest (bounces back and forth between 1st and 2nd). I also find it interesting that South Korea is 50% christian so I would also be interested with worshipping with christians from another part of the world. There are quite a few reformed churches around so if I make it over there, I'll be sure to check those out. Also there's nothing like actually living in another country for a year rather than just doing a "drive by" in a hotel, seeing the sights and leave in a week.

4. Travel and Opportunity. When I was in college, I was on the golf team and we did A LOT of traveling. Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland. Even though we didn't travel outside the country, I enjoyed seeing the country. Once I graduated I wondered how long it would be before I would be able to travel again. I didn't have a job, and when I did get one, I would have to pay school loans and other expenses. Sure there maybe would be a weekend trip here and there but it would be coming out of my pocket and I wouldn't enjoy it as much. This opportunity provides free travel and housing for a year.

5. God's direction. The scripture in Proverbs which says acknowledge God in all your ways and He will direct your paths has been my favorite scripture the past 8 months. I truly believe that if you are saved, sanctified, suffering for His name, seeking Him daily in prayer, and reading of the Word, He will direct your steps. Also He will put desires in your heart (not selfish ones) to guide you. I've also always questioned why people say that whatever you have a talent for or are good at, do the opposite, because God wants you to rely on Him. I could never understand why God would give you talents, then tell you to throw them away and do something else (see parable of the talents). I definitely don't agree with going after selfish desires, but if have a talent or desire, use it to God's glory.

I've never heard of teaching in South Korea until the past two months and I believe God's direction led me to it. I never say I know this is what God wants me to do, because I don't. I've said that to myself so many times in the past and it turned out to be wrong. I now chose to walk by faith and know that He is with me wherever I go and that if I make decisions with Him in mind, it's cool. I also like this scripture:

Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do, whether by speech or action, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Plus I wouldn't mind teaching kids. It actually runs in the fam.

6. Plain and simple, I need a job that is more than just paying the bills if you know what I mean. I figure if I'm going to sit here in Detroit and work a temp job I know I'm going to get tired of soon enough, and living paycheck to paycheck, I might as well go teach overseas in a pretty westernized country with paid housing and a paid ticket over there.

All in all, when I go over there (Lord willing), I will do a lot of planning for the future. I really think this opportunity creates a bridge to do that while at the same time having a time in life that I will remember. I also want to get off the North American continent for once!!

So yeah, again this blog follows the process from the very beginning to the end. I've sent in my application, and waiting on this first step. Be back soon with an update. God bless.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.