0

Chicago and back...and LOST

Posted by DomHyo on Sunday, April 05, 2009
So the trip to Chicago was very interesting...let me break it down for you...

I planned to leave at 5 am (which would be 4am Chicago time) so I could to there about an hour and a half ahead of time. I left on time but it was raining and I hate driving in the rain. And to top it off, it was dark so of course that made things even more difficult. So I head off down I-94 West, and get to around Ann Arbor and somehow I got off 94. I don't know how but I did, and I ended up having to stop at a gas station for directions. I end up back on 94 and

Number of times lost: 1

So I continue on 94, it's still raining, but the sun is starting to rise and after about 3 hours, the rain let's up. I'm making great time actually and I arrive in Chitown at around 9am. I needed to find a post office first before I went to the building of the interview because I messed up the label for the envelope I was supposed to give them to mail my passport back to me. So I found that and then went off to find the building. I found it without a problem, but the problem was now trying to find parking. Traffic in Chicago is bad, and parking is even worse. So I finally find a reasonable parking garage, park my car, and I'm off back to the building where the interview is. Only thing is, I forgot which direction it was.

Number of times lost: 2

So I walk around for about 20 minutes and realized that I could actually be walking FURTHER away from the building. I decided to hail a cab and he got me there within 5 minutes for 6 dollars. I get there and I'm about 30 minutes early and there are 3 other people there waiting for their interviews. A half hour later, it's my turn and another guy came in with me. The Korean guy asked me and him simple questions like have you researched korean culture and why would you be a good teacher. It went by quickly.

So after the interview, I had to decide whether or not to stay over and get a hotel room, or drive back. I had only gotten 2 hours of sleep the night before and I was extremely tired. I wanted to find a cheap hotel room because my funds aren't exactly great right now. My mom's friend had given me the name of a hotel and the address. So I go off to find it yet I cannot find the street and I was sure I had seen it before.

Number of times lost: 3

I decided to do the cab thing again and ended up at the hotel. They were to expensive so the cab was pointless. I start walking around looking for other hotels and they are all expensive too. So I said forget it and said I would drive out of the city, stop at a rest stop, take a nap and then drive back. Great right?!! Well I couldn't remember where I parked my car. I'm walking all over trying to remember what the parking garage looked like.

Number of times lost: 4

I walk around for about a half hour when I decide to look at the ticket from the garage. Thank God the address was on it and I was able to find it. I pay the charge and leave the crowded downtown of Chicago. I wanted to take pictures, but I was just too tired. So I leave the city and I'm on 94 east. I'm hungry and decide to get some Wendy's and tale a nap in the parking lot of the welcome center next door. Two hours later I wake up and get back on the highway. I also needed gas so I got some about a half hour down the road. I get off, get my gas and get back on the road. Here is the funniest part to me. When coming from Chicago, you are going east. You're supposed to go into Indiana, then into Michigan. Well...I'm back on the freeway after getting gas, and 20 minutes later I see a sign that says "Wlecome to Illinois!"

Hold up.

Am I trippin? I should be seeing a sign that says welcome to Michigan!!

Number of times lost total in one day: 5

I realized I somehow got on the wrong on ramp after getting gas and ended up going west.

So anyways, I speed home, tired as ever, and get some rest after a long day.

I'm now waiting on approval of my visa and the date for my departure is the 11th. I said goodbye to my church family today and on Tuesday I'm back on the road to West Virginia this time to say goodbye to my aunt and cousins, and to pick my grandma up and bring her back to Detroit.

A lot to take care of before I leave.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.