1

Korea...first impressions

Posted by DomHyo on Thursday, April 16, 2009

So I've arrived. It's been 2 days since I've arrived and so much has happened.

One of the teachers at my school was there to help me on wednesday with getting my medical check and showing me around my neighborhood. We had a bite to eat at some restaurant down below in my building. It was fried shrimp and some type of fried potato along with some soup. It was pretty good. Unfortunately it was raining all day and we had to walk everywhere. I was able to see the school for the first time on Wednesday, but today was my first official day.

I met the principal and vice principal and I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't nervous. But everything seemed to go well and everywhere I walked throughout the school was filled with korean students smiling, waving, running away, etc. when I walked by. They were very excited to learn about me when I got into the classroom. I only went to two classes and talked for aobut 15 min in each one with them asking me questions such as

"DO you have a girlfriend?"
"Do you like korean food?"
"Do you think our teacher is beautiful?"

Too funny.

I also took the subway today for the first time because I had to find a converter for my american plug. The two student teachers at my school helped me find the correct bus but from there I was on my own...and after 4 hours, I finally made it back home. I didn't get lost per say, it was just me trying to make sure I was getting on the correct trains and buses. Some of that Korean I learned before coming here came in handy.

As for food, I tried kimchi and I have to say it is not for me. I made up my mind that I was going tot ry different foods while here, but my tastebuds are funny anyways. I don't like watermelon or sweet potato pie and I'm black so that should tell you somethin j/p

But even with that, I will still try new foods.

As for friends, nobody yet, but I'm meeting some people on Saturday who are headed up to Seoul. One of the people helped me know where to find a converter. Also later in the day I'm going to a game night at a church that I looked up before coming here. I just have to find out where it is lol.

So that's just a brief time of my time so far. I'll be back with a few pics and other stories as well. Peace.

1 Comments


Wow.... I am getting nervous just reading this... I can imagine what it would be like to meet the principal for the first time in Korea.

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.