0

So some updates

Posted by DomHyo on Wednesday, April 29, 2009
So some updates. I don't think this post will have one common subject. It will kind of be all over the place lol.

First some random observations since being here:

1. If you ever come to Korea and want to get a driver's license, you need to take the test, and then forget everything on the test because that's what the Koreans do. I thought Michigan drivers were bad...here, running red lights is common, nearly running over pedestrians, riding motorcycles on the sidewalk, and constant lane changing (way worse than what people do in the states) is how you drive here. I don't think I could survive the streets here.

2. I see a lot of baseball caps here and surprisingly it's mainly Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Son, and New York Yankees (for obvious reasons). I don't know how the Tigers became popular here.

3. When on the subway, you better learn how to be a pushy person or you will get rundown.

4. I like how whenever you enter a restaurant or place of service, they are really their to serve you, unlike the states, they say hi with a smile on their faces and a goodbye with a smile.

So the previous weekend was pretty boring. It rained and was kind of cold all weekend so I really didn't go out except to buy a few things from the grocery store. I went to church again Sunday and met a Korea there who is in school so we are going to try to hang out on Friday.

I have a pretty easy week into next Wednesday. Students have had midterms since Tuesday and will be over Thursday. I'll be back to teaching on Friday and then on Monday and Tuesday I have days off because of school holidays.

On Saturday some people from the church are riding to Costco....yes there is a Costco in Korea!! I don't have a membership though so it's pointless. I'll still go just to get out.

Then later on Saturday the recruiter that got me my teaching job here is having a dinner for all the people they've helped get here....and they are paying for dinner so DEFINITELY cannot miss that. Sunday I'm supposed to meet someone who's going to help me with Korean and I'm going to help them with English. Pretty cool.

Today since I got off school early, I decided to head to Itaewon to get my hair cut. The shop was located in a small community of Africans and I'm just trying to figure out what made them come to Korea...then again they could ask me the same thing. They gave me a real nice cut and I hope they don't go anywhere because that is the only place where a brotha can get a good haricut right now.

Afterwards I found a KFC and a Coldstone...yes COLDSTONE...I devoured some great chocolate ice cream.

Speaking of food, that is what I love about my apartment is that it is part of a little "town" so to speak. That is popular here. They build "officetels" and surround them with shops and restaurants. So I basically have everything I need right at the bottom of my apartment. I've found several favorite restaurants and there is even a grocery store in my building. A Dunkin Donuts opened up yesterday and there is also a Papa John's not too far away. Basically I have my choice of fast food, Korea food, Japanese, American, etc within 2 minutes walking distance. And the food is so cheap.

Also, I believe that within 30 years, a lot of Koreans will be dealing with the same health problems many Americans are dealing with and overweight issues. Asians in general are known for being smaller and slimmer than westerners (not all of course), but with all the Western restaurants coming here, mainly catering to the younger generation, it's only a matter of time.

One more thing...WHEREVER I GO, I always seem to live enxt to someone who is just stomping on the floor and bumping around their apartment for now apparent reason. In college I had neighbors and people above me who just stomped on the floor. Back home in Detroit, the same thing only people were slamming doors and bangning and walls with loud music. Now here, I am next to someone who does some type of exercise where he is stomping on the floor. He was doing the exercise late one night and I asked him could he quiet down and he did, but now lately he's started up again only earlier. I mean really...I think sooner or later I'm just going to have to find a place to live in that is not attached to anyone...in other words A HOUSE. I can't wait to buy a house....a house with 100 yards of open space all around it...yes that sounds nice.

So that's basically it for now. God bless.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Motown to Seoultown All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.